Sunday, May 5, 2013

DIY Chevron Painting


I have been seeing chevron everywhere lately, and I have to admit, I'm obsessed!  So I decided that my living room needed some chevron art and thought that I could easily make some myself.  Follow the jump to find out how I did it!



For this project you will need:

  • Canvas (I got mine at Joann's in a pack of 10 for around $20)
  • Blue Painters Tape
  • A Paintbrush
  • A Pencil
  • An Eraser
  • Two different colors of Acrylic Paint
  • One color of Glitter Paint
  • A Ruler
Step One:
Draw the chevron pattern onto your blank canvas.
1.  Draw a vertical line down the center of the canvas.
2.  Measure the distance from the center line that you just drew and the right side of the canvas.  Draw a vertical line down the middle of this section.  Repeat on the left side.
3.  Rotate the canvas so that the lines are now horizontal and repeat steps 1 and 2 in order to create a grid pattern.
4.  Draw a diagonal line starting from one corner of a box to the opposite corner.  Alternate the direction of the diagonal lines in order to create your chevron pattern.
5.  The finished drawing should look something like this.  You can now erase any vertical or horizontal lines.  But don't erase the diagonal lines!

Step Two
Tape off every other chevron stripe.
I suggest using scissors to cut the tape instead of ripping it so you get really clean lines when you paint.
Step Three
Paint!


1.  Each of these three stripes should be painted three different colors in order for the pattern to work
2.  You may also want to do two coats of paint on some colors (I did two coats on the silver glitter and also the white)

Step Four
Remove the tape and let dry for a few hours.
Don't worry if your lines aren't perfectly clean right now.  You'll fix them when you paint the other two stripes.
Step Five
Tape off the opposite stripes

Tape the stripes you just painted (make sure they are really really dry!) 

Step Six
Paint the remaining stripes

Make sure that you follow your color pattern and you don't paint two colors next to each other!

Step Seven
Take off the tape and reveal your masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment